October 14, 2011

Baby You're A Firework


So, the 4th of July was there before I knew it.  I never do anything too crazy for the 4th of July but I am always SO EXCITED as it approaches.  I don't know what it is about wearing red white and blue, barbecuing with family and friends and watching fireworks that is so  special to me, but I just get this feeling of nostalgia on this particular holiday.

With that said, OBVIOUSLY I wanted to make cookies.  On the 3rd of July I was going to join my boyfriend Troy and his family for their annual 4th of July pool party.  So I started researching different designs I could use.  I really wanted to do firework cookies, but I didn't have a firework cookie cutter, bummer, I know.  So I got the idea that I would print out the shape of a firework from my computer onto card stock and use it as a stencil.  Easier said than done.  So I got a knife and I individually cut out each firework shape BY HAND, following my stencil, getting each little point just right.  Lets just say, i was glad when I was done!  Now I know to plan in advance what shapes I want to do so I can order the cookie cutters ahead of time.

The spirals were really fun to do.  I made a bulls-eye of red and blue frosting in the white frosting, and while the frosting was still wet I took a toothpick and I dragged it through the bulls-eye in a sweeping motion.  They turned out looking really bright and fun.

My favorite of the patriotic bunch are probably the heart and star American flags.  They really brought the cute factor.  I just lined the blue and red sections, filled them in and waited for the frosting to dry.  Once they were dry I was able to add the white dots and stripes.


I put some aside for my family to enjoy the next day, which is always a must.  I should tell you that I always have to leave some of my cookies for my family to eat or else I will come home to some UNHAPPY people.  So the lesson here is, don't mess with my family's cookies!

The 4th of July cookies were a hit, and you can never eat just one.  They were my first solo success that I was really proud of, and it made me excited try even more intricate designs.



1 comment: